Chapala, Mexico the largest of the six Chapala lakeside communities was founded in 1538 and has been called home by such notables as President Porfirio Diaz and D.H. Lawrence (who wrote “The Plumed Serpent” while staying in the main house of the Q & Q Inn); many large properties along the lake were weekend homes to wealthy people from Guadalajara and Mexico City and also to some of the rich and famous from Mexico, United States and even Europe.
Chapala is located on the north shore of Lake Chapala, 26 km. (16 mi.) east of the Lake's western end, and 42 km. (25 mi.) south of Guadalajara. It is the oldest, most populated, and the most easterly of a string of villages - Chapala, San Antonio Tlayacapan, Ajijic, San Juan Cosala and Jocopetec - known locally as Lakeside.
Chapala's main street is blooming with trees, plants and flowers, making it a beautiful place to rest. Among the varieties found in the area are pine, evergreen oak, palo dulce, huizache, campanilla, caspire, madrono, saucillo, tepame and chaparral.